- Canterbury 2019 Vision
- Publishing the monthly Canterbury News
- Organising series of talks and meetings on civic, cultural, heritage and environmental topics.
Historic buildings and Heritage:
- Founding member of Alliance of Historic Cities and Towns (Historic England)
- Annual Civic Champion Award for individuals who have made a major contribution to the city.
- Organising the annual Canterbury Heritage Open Days
- Working with local ‘EMIC/BLM’ initiatives
- Campaigning for a purpose built, state of the art hospital located in Canterbury
- Collaborating with funding for the Canterbury Food Bank
Submitting consultations to Canterbury City Council:
- CCC’s Draft Corporate Plan 2021-24
- CCC’s Draft Climate Action Plan 2021-30
- Annual Parking Review
- CCC’s Local Plan 2020-2022
- CCC’s Regeneration of St Georges’ Street
- Draft Shopfront Design Supplementary Document
- Responding to CCC’s ‘Public Space Protection Orders’ consultation
Governance in the City:
- Setting-up with other civic partners the Canterbury Town Forum, replacing the one abolished by the City Council
- Founding member of Canterbury Forum
Sustainability and Action on Climate Change:
- Working with the Canterbury Sustainable Development Goals Forum
- Partnering with Canterbury Climate Action Partnership which brings together community interest groups to educate, energise and empower the community in activities to reduce carbon emissions in the Canterbury District.
- Supporting the Plastic Free Canterbury which has teamed up with Surfers Against Sewagewith the aim of reducing the use of plastics in Canterbury and the surrounding villages, focusing initially on Single Use Plastics. The goal is to achieve Plastic Free Accreditation for Canterbury.
- Supporting and contributing in the creation of ‘Repair Cafes’
- CCAP Climate Change Partnership
- Partnering with Canterbury Alliance for Sustainable Transport (CAST)
Open Spaces and the Natural Environment:
- Helping to set up the Save Wincheap Water Meadows lobbying group
- ePetition calling on Canterbury City Council to adopt a Pollinator Action Plan (26/05/2020 to 30/09/2020 obtained 2022 signatures.) CCC has agreed to adopt a Pollinator Action Plan. Supporting CCC with drawing up a Pollinator Action Plan.
- Lobbying Canterbury City Council to adopt a Canterbury Tree Strategy
- Member of Canterbury Biodiversity Network
- Working with the Canterbury Riverside Group
- Working with the Canterbury BiD to prepare for Canterbury in Bloom 2021
- Maintaining and promoting the Butterfly Garden in Pound Lane and Solly’s Orchard
- Maintaining and promoting the flower beds along the Franciscan Way
- Managing the ‘Canterbury Trees’ FB group, which was set up to help protect Canterbury’s trees, share information about tree planting projects, and to promote awareness, in the local community, of the beauty, ecological importance and benefits of trees to the environment.
- Managing the Wild Canterbury FB group, which was set up to promote and create awareness of the importance of Canterbury’s biodiversity, and to share information about projects and initiatives to protect and enhance biodiversity and nature-based solutions in the local area.
- Encouraging Nature Friendly Gardens: talks and workshops.
- Organising Canterbury Tree Week – part of National Tree Week 2021.
Litter and graffiti:
- Working with the Canterbury Litter Round Table and managing the Canterbury ‘grot spots’ FB group to enable residents to flag up areas of fly-tipping, litter or graffiti and to help publicise initiatives to tackle these problems.
- Organising litter-picks – annual street and river projects.
Architecture and the Built Environment:
- Ongoing comments on development proposals and planning applications to Canterbury City Council
- Organising the biennial Canterbury Society Design Awards (with awards under various categories including new buildings, urban spaces, retrofits, housing, …)
- Working with Canterbury City Council on the production of its revised shopfront guidelines
- Campaigning for the abolition of plastic windows in conservation areas
- Re-furbishing of St Dunstan’s pedestrians’ underpass (completed November 2020)
- Photographic Competition to celebrate National Meadows Day
- Setting up Blue Plaque programme with CCC